Wednesday, December 8, 2010

BOC: Getting Fired


I, personally, have not had a firing experience. I have not been fired and I have not fired someone. I have, however, come into contact with several people and families that have been affected by firings and lay offs. One person I remember in particular was a friend of mine’s father, Craig. He was working at the University of Missouri when I lived in Columbia, Missouri where the school is located. I saw the trouble that her family went through as the process took effect. The first step was the news. Craig found out about three months before the lay off occurred that he was going to be let go. The school needed to save money and was laying off some of the scientists in the environmental department that he worked in. As Craig looked for a new job throughout the three months, it was very hard to find work. After the three months, Craig still had not found another job in his career field. He ended up taking a full time management position at a local grocery store, Hy-Vee. The family struggled and my friend and his mother worked more hours to try and compensate for the depleted income. It has been very difficult for the family, especially Craig since he is no longer working with his passion. Lay offs and firings can be very intense and difficult and can often cause people to fall into a depressed state.

No comments:

Post a Comment