Wednesday, December 8, 2010

EOC "Up in the Air"


In the movie, Up in the Air, George Clooney’s character has a very unique skill. His unique skill is the ability to fire workers and make them feel that new doors are opening for them. Three skills that he uses to benefit the employee are persuasion, apathy and optimism. These three skills help George Clooney’s character to convince the employee they are going to be okay and begin a new path while encouraging them to follow their dreams rather than comfort them.

If I were in the same position as George Clooney’s character, I would have a very difficult time. I do not think that I would be very good at telling people they were being let go. I do not like to break spirits or feel any form of guilt, which are two consequences of such a job.

If I were the employee being let go, I think that I would be much like the characters in the movie. I would not freak out but I would be very frustrated and upset. Swearing at the person firing me would most likely occur. I think that both ends of such an action would be difficult for me to handle.

No comments:

Post a Comment